Sunday 15 July 2007

Being a school governor

I was appointed as a school governor to a Lewisham primary school last year. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's the right thing for me, but I've enjoyed it so far and the school is a remarkable one.


Many of the pupils coming into the school are very vulnerable, but the school provides them with space to learn and develop. Some excellent teaching staff then help to transform the children so that they are at least as prepared for secondary school as their peers from other schools.


Even after being a governor for the past year, I'm still feeling my way around the whole thing and I'm not sure if I'm really contributing as much as I should be. We don't get asked to make loads of decisions, but the headteacher is accountable to the governing body, so I guess that we provide the governance. I've never been reticent about asking awkward questions so I guess that this could be part of the role of a school governor.

Time will tell if I'm really getting it right.

2 comments:

Andrew Brown said...

Like you I've become a school governor (secondary though) in Lewisham in the last year.

As you say it takes a bit of getting used to and I'm still less than sure about how I'm making a difference. But I hope I am.

dreamer said...

Thanks for reading the blog Andrew. If we don't get the job right in a primary school, then I guess that you will be among the first to notice in a secondary school.

Good luck as a governor. I guess that if anyone can get it right then you can.